Neighborhood Charter Schools provides a rare opportunity for students with autism in New York City. At NCS, we believe in access to both rigorous academics and social emotional learning. In addition, our program is described as ‘inclusive education’, which means our students with autism are fully included in their classrooms, learning alongside their ‘neurotypical’ peers.
We have a specific criteria for our Autism Program
Key Aspects of our Program
Smaller class sizes
Integrated Co-Teaching (ICT)
- Two teachers per classroom
- Academic growth
- Social emotional development
Autism best practices
- Predictability and strong routines
- Consistency in environments
- Visual supports
- Individualized, family centered planning
- Small group social skills lessons
- Led by Speech Language Pathologists (SLP)
- Opportunities to practice through play
Social Thinking Curriculum
Parent Collaboration and Support
- Regular parent events (social and educational)
- Access to support from extensive Special Education Leadership Team
Is our Autism Program right for your child?
We recognize how difficult it can be to find the right school for your child!
At NCS we have a specific criteria for our Autism Program to ensure we will be able to meet your child’s individual needs. Read below to determine if you feel your child meets our criteria.
- Considered ‘high-functioning’ or ‘low needs’
- Below average to above average intelligence
- Consistent development in verbal/non-verbal abilities, working memory, language and attention
- Close to that of their peers
- Close to Grade Level
- Does not include social language skills (initiating conversation, non-verbal communication etc.)
- Mild to moderate delays
- May have difficulty with social interactions, play, change in routine etc.
- Mild to moderate difficulties
- Toilet trained
- Not aggressive to others
- Able to learn in the group (e.g., doesn’t frequently run away)